Looking after your GLOBAL knife is very important, as improper care can severely damage your knife. Stamped GLOBAL blades have edges that are razor sharp. To obtain such sharp edges, they are factory sharpened at an angle between 10 and 15 degrees. Sharpening at this angle results in a thinner edge, so some words of caution are necessary.
On this page, you will find the information required to care for your knife effectively, including how to sharpen it using the variety of methods recommended, how to clean it correctly and how to store it safely.
- Do not soak before cleaning. In particular, avoid soaking in harsh cleaning solutions and any solution containing bleach.
- Do not use harsh detergents or cleansers containing chlorine bleach.
- Do not attempt to cut through frozen foods or bones. If you should slice into something frozen or solid, remove carefully using a slicing (forward and backward) motion. DO NOT twist the knife side to side to remove it. Doing so will bend your edge and possibly chip it leaving a chunk of knife in the solid matter.
- Do not cut on a marble, stone, tile or glass surface.
- Do not cut with a chopping (up and down) motion. This is not the proper way to cut and only dulls your knife. Cut with a slicing (forward and backward) motion.
- Do not use these knives for any purpose other than for what they were intended, i.e., the preparation of food. Under no circumstances should they be used as a screwdriver, crowbar or wirecutter.
GLOBAL knives come out of the factory in Japan with a very sharp edge and CROMOVA 18, GLOBALs unique blade material, ensures that this sharpness will be maintained longer than most other knives. However, GLOBAL knives need to be sharpened from time to time to maintain their keen edge. As a general rule, the best sharpening tool for an individual is one that he or she is going to use.
Each tool is different and may be easy or difficult to use depending on the individual and their level of experience or skill. GLOBAL recommends periodically sharpening your knives using either a waterstone or ceramic stone. In between stone sharpenings, it is recommended that you use the GLOBAL fine ceramic or diamond rod to keep the edges of your knives aligned.
WhetstonesBACK TO TOP
There are various types of whetstones available and normally a medium grit stone is sufficient to start with. However, if the blade is blunt or damaged, it may be necessary to start with rough grit.
Regardless of the size or type of stone you are using, the procedures for sharpening are as follows:
- The stone should be soaked for the required amount of time before use, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Hold the knife so that the blade meets the stone at a 10-15 degree angle, then push back and forth across the stone in smooth steady strokes maintaining the same angle
- The key to maintaining the same angle is hearing the same sound with each back-and-forth stroke against the stone.
- Repeat the step above on both sides of the blade going from one side to the other until your knife is sharp and there are no burrs on either side.
During sharpening a certain amount of wet powder will appear, but do not wash or wipe this residue and continue sharpening. Although this powder appears unsightly, it is this residue which sharpens the knives.
After sharpening, your knives should be washed in hot water and then towel dried.
NOTE: Achieving the correct angle is sometimes difficult, particularly for beginners. Most GLOBAL retailers will carry a product called MinoSharp Sharpening guard rails. These guard rails will help you achieve the correct angle when using a whetstone.
Ceramic and Diamond RodsBACK TO TOP
For some people, learning the skill of intermediate sharpening with a ceramic or diamond rod is difficult. It is essential that you maintain your knives on a regular basis and proper sharpening will help them last longer. The ceramic and diamond rods are used in the same way that traditional steels are used to sharpen knives. The diamond rod is harder than the ceramic rod and will bring back a knife edge quicker. The diamond rod also will not break if it is hit or dropped unlike the ceramic rod. However, the ceramic rod will give a finer edge if used regularly and replacements may be purchased if necessary.
NOTE: DON’T use traditional steels made from other materials as they are likely to damage your GLOBAL knives.
NOTE: The ceramic steel through use can discolor – this is residue that has built up in the pores of the ceramic. Use warm soapy water and if necessary a scourer to help keep your ceramic steel clean.
Water Wheel SharpenersBACK TO TOP
For some people, learning the skill of intermediate sharpening with a ceramic or diamond rod is difficult. It is essential that you maintain your knives on a regular basis and it will be easier to maintain them for the long term. Most GLOBAL retailers will carry one of these user-friendly devices called MinoSharp, MinoSharp Plus, or GLOBAL. These are hand held ceramic water sharpeners and no experience or skill is required to use them. By simply filling the reservoir with water and running your knife backwards and forwards a few times, the ceramic wheels ensure the blade is sharpened at the correct angle.
WASHING AND CLEANINGBACK TO TOP
GLOBAL knives should be hand washed with warm soapy water. After washing, rinse off with warm water and dry thoroughly with a towel. GLOBAL knives should NOT be placed in the dishwasher since it can damage the sharp edges of the blade. In addition, exposure to extreme heat and powerful detergents found in dishwashers can be harmful to CROMOVA 18 high carbon stainless steel.
If your knife is not stored or cleaned correctly, you may find that rust can start to develop on it. General household stainless steel cleaners are available on the market, and any of these can be used to remove rust from your stainless steel.
STORAGEBACK TO TOP
GLOBAL knives are very sharp and should be carefully stored to avoid accidents and kept out of the reach of small children. GLOBAL recommends the use of the GLOBAL knife blocks, magnetic wall racks, knife docks, or knife rolls/cases. A variety of different solutions are offered by GLOBAL to help keep your knives safe and in good condition.